Setting Up iBeacon Infrastructure¶
The following section provides guidelines on setting up the iBeacon infrastructure for your indoor navigation app if you use Kontakt.io iBeacons. In case you use another iBeacon provider please refer to it's site for details.
Prior to installing beacons in the target locations, you need to configure them. Use Kontact.io mobile application for iBeacon configuration.
Make sure that the beacons are in iBeacon mode and the signal transmit power is set to`` -12dbm``.
By default the Kontakt.io beacons are set to travel mode and have minimal transmit power for power saving purposes. In the beacon transmit power options choose the 3-rd value, which corresponds to
-12dbm and range up to 40 meters. Refer to Transmission power, Range and RSSI article for details on the kontact.io beacons' configuration.
Configuring with kontakt.io¶
One more way to configure your iBeacons is via the Kontakt.io application. Consider this approach if you want to configure beacons' advanced settings. This approach let's you configure each your beacons one-by-one.
Make sure you have Internet connection.
Launch the kontakt.io Application on your iOS device.
Switch to the Settings tab and enter your kontakt.io login information.
In the Settings tab, scroll down to the Administrator section, and tap Enter administrator mode.
In the Beacons tab, find the ID of the beacon that you want configure, and tap it to connect. Beacon's ID is written on it's back.
Specify the following parameters for each of the beacons you need to configure:
- Proximity UUID - the kontakt.io beacon identifier (keep default)
- major - beacon major identifier (keep default)
- minor - beacon minor identifier (keep default)
- TxPower - power of a beacon's transmit signal. Values: from 1 to 7, where 1 corresponds to 5 meters, and 7 - to 70 meters. The higher the specified value is, the more power consumes the beacon.
- Advertising Time Interval - periodicity of a beacon's advertising package transmission. Values: from 20 ms to 1000 ms.
- Model Name - beacon identifier as bluetooth device.
You can find information on configuring iBeacons on the official kontakt.io website, specifically
Take into account the following golden rules during the beacon installation procedure:
- Use the beacons only in the areas where navigation is required.
- Install the beacons above the head level at the height between 2 and 4 meters. The best practice is to fasten beacons on the ceiling.
- In the case when the recommended beacon installation place is unavailable (for example, the ceiling is too high), you can attach the beacons to the walls.
- Use 1 beacon for the locations smaller than 25 square meters.
- Place the beacons evenly across the location, still do not put them on the same direct line.
- The more beacons you use, the higher the accuracy level is. Consider using 8-15 beacons per 1000 square meters.
- DO NOT put beacons behind metal objects and/or any other obstacles, otherwise the beacon's usefulness will be tending to zero.
- Make sure the beacons are inaccessible so that they cannot be moved by unauthorized people.
The following figure demonstrates the optimal settlement of 18 beacons for a single facility with multiple rooms inside.